Sunday 13 February 2011

There's a Law There's A Law There's A Blog

HI THERE INTERNET.

I am carving out a blog on you. I am going to use words to refer to other things that are happening in the world. In this way we can communicate and I can spread truth.

On the internet I am not obliged to have a [Christian name][Surname] like in the real world so instead I am going to be called WARSAW. To repeat: WARSAW is the author. I'm not sure what the implications of this are going to be.

The idea is though, that self expression can be a creative and liberated process. While I will be primarily drawing from my experiences in real life, there will be few effective mechanisms of accountability back to it. As the body of work on this blog grows though I will want to have it stand as something I can be proud of. The work I want it to do is to express intelligibly interesting truth about the world.

Truth is to be found in what we can verify. But what do we mean by verification? Is there truth beyond what is verifiable?

I would like to suggest that there are lots of different standards of verification that we construct depending on what subject we are interrogating. The limits of the standards of verifications are often pragmatic and sometimes theoretical. Pragmatic reasons are to do with doing what we can with the resources (time, concentration, measuring instruments, information etc) we have available. Theoretical reasons might be more about some things being failing to be universally knowable (what is beauty for instance? is the story that Kirsty told me about her weekend definitely true?). But often we want to engage with what we cannot fully know. For example we all live in a world where we are forced to make
decisions based on imperfect information (doing nothing is not usually a neutral option).

Here I am going to present things and demonstrate them and get as close to the truth as possible. I will use words, on the internet, to represent things that are not words and are not on the internet. I will get as close to the truth as I can and let my principles of verification shine through and see where consistency breaks down.

Welcome to WARSAWSPEAKS. It is a truth identifying machine that I will take a leading role building. Please criticise the machine and help me to improve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment